Choosing the best CPU for gaming is to consider a top-notch processor for high-end performance. It is also important to grab an essential component which can optimize the gaming performance. It has a high-quality graphics card could be an ideal option to build a gaming PC.
CPUs are really crucial for plenty of reasons in modern high graphics games including the presentation of a complex scenario like the passage of time, weather and enemy AI.
Best CPU for Gaming – Specifications
If your prime focus is gaming then you cannot avoid the GPU and for high-end gaming, the core number of CPU is less important than clock speed. Is it a little bit confusing??? This article will help you in choosing an ideal CPU for gaming-
1. Intel Core i7-8700K
While you are looking forward to getting top-notch gaming performance CPU within an affordable budget, Intel’s 8th generation Coffee Lake Core i7-8700 is an appropriate one.
- It comes with a powerful modern processor that can easily handle any gaming related task.
- The 8700k is a great value proposition if you are hovering around the budget $300. You will have six hyper-threaded cores which can enhance the processor’s performance.
- This 8th gen coffee lake comes as a flagship processor, which can offer plenty of power to navigate the most challenging tasks about gaming.
- This CPU can easily manage any heavy workload and it allows you to do mega-tasking.
- Threads: 12 Over locking: 4.9-5.0 GHz typical Cores: 6 TDP: 95W
- Cores: 6 L3 Cache: 12 MB PCIe 3.0 lanes: 16
- Efficient and Powerful
- Tailored for gaming
- Expensive than other CPUs
2. AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
This CPU has a high-quality desktop processor that can provide a top-grade gaming experience. This CPU required expensive accommodations like an added cost for quad-channel memory controllers and a powerful motherboard.
- You will get outstanding gaming configuration by this CPU, as it offers 16 cores and 32 threads for high-end class performance.
- If you compared to any HEDT (High-end Desktop) processors within a reasonable budget then you can hardly find in another CPU, except AMD Ryzen 9 3950X.
- Though we do not suggest HEDT processors for the people who are fond of gaming. A mainstream processor is the best option for Pro gamers as it comes with higher clocks and multiple cores like the Ryzen 9 3950X
- If you are looking for super-smooth and high-refresh gameplay without any hassle then this CPU could be the ultimate choice.
- This CPU offers density advantages that can provide higher performance with additional cores, more caches and with better power efficiency.
- It has two little 7nm eight-core compute chipsets, which are uniquely tied with infinity fabric interconnect through a larger 12 I/O die (IOD).
- This chiplets have 9.89 billion transistors that are always active for providing high-end gaming performance.
- Socket: AM4 Top Boost Frequency: 4.7GHz Threads/Cores: 32/16
- TDP: 105W Architecture: Zen 2
- Higher Boost Frequencies
- Power efficiency
- Class-leading 32 threads and 16 cores
- Compatible with most AM4 boards
- Affordable Price for each core
- PCIe Gen 4.0
Need beefy Cooling
3. AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
If you are simply concerned about gaming and looking to have a CPU for basic productivity tasks then AMD Ryzen 7 3700X could be a good option for you. It is not only made for having the best gaming experience but it also allows you to do heavy multitasking.
- This CPU delivers a single CCD with several active cores that are connected to the I/O die.
- AMD Ryzen 7 3700X has Threadripper processors that come with a variable range of computing dies. It makes sure structural inflexibility and restricts from crushing the integrated heat spreader (IHS) at the time of tightening down the cooler.
- This CPU has 4GHz boost frequency that helps to generate high-refresh-rate and play smooth gaming.
- Ryzen 7 3700X comes with a bundled prism RGB cooler that offers three individual RGB zones and four different directly connected copper heat pipes.
- Apart from that, you will get a switchable fan profile along with a 39db (A) noise rating.
- Base Frequency- 3.6GHz Socket: AM4 Top Boost Frequency: 4.4GHz
- Architecture: Zen 2 TDP: 65W Threads/Cores: 16/8
- Bundled cooler
- It is compatible with X470 motherboards
- Indium solder
- Support for PCIe 4.0
- Multiplier has unlocked
- Overclocking headroom is limited
- It requires expensive X570 motherboards to support PCIe 4.0
4. Intel Core i9-9900KS
This is an exclusive edition of the Core i9-9900K, it has launched in October 2018. It comes with plenty of features that can enhance your skillful gaming. It is primarily made for multitasking and to support high-end performance.
- The most attractive feature of this CPU is to it can run with a maximum turbo clock speed of 5GHz on one core. This advanced feature makes a huge difference from their predecessors.
- The base clock speed of this CPU is 4.8GHz on four cores and it also can run on all eight cores by 4.6GHz speed.
- This CPU offers you a superior graphics unit, as it comes with Intel UHD 630 graphics.
- Apart from this high-quality performance, it comes with 16 powerful threads and 127W TDP (Thermal Design Power) that makes it a high-value mainstream processor for top-notch gaming.
- There are hardly any processors of AMD that can beat the processor of Intel Core i9-9900KS in the FPS (Frame per Second) rate. This CPU can carry a higher frame rate that helps to play without any lagging in the maximum number of games.
- This top-performing Intel CPU can also help to keep the system cool with a liquid cooler and moderate air-cooler.
- Threads: 16 TDP: 127W Intel Smart Cache: 16MB Graphics: Intel UHD 630 Graphics
- Cores: 8 Base Clock: 4GHz Boost Clock: 5GHz
- Power Efficiency
- 5GHz Boost Clock speed for super fast and smooth gaming
- It has splendid Intel UHD 630 graphics unit
- Carries a higher frame rates
Price is excessive
5. AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
A new level of gaming performance is now available with AMD Ryzen 5 3600X CPU. This CPU certainly has the right mix of different features and qualities that makes it the performance leader.
- As the predecessor of Ryzen 5 3600X has done, this is no exception to provide the same twelve threads and six cores. However, do you want to know what makes it different from the previous one? This CPU arrives with all new 7nm process along with Zen 2 micro architecture that helps to speed up all large applications and high-end graphics games.
- It has a new PCIe 4.0 interface that facilitates two times the I/O throughput which is much better than Intel’s standard PCIe 3.0. (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).
- This CPU features I/O die components (7nm and 12nm) that connected together within a single package. It adheres to the 95W TDP ceiling along with high-speed clocking power.
- Ryzen 5 3600X carries a higher clock speed of 3.8GHz base along with a 4.4GHz Boost frequencies. These frequency rates have also been carried by Intel’s Core i5-9600K, but it often lags while playing any high graphics game. In this context, AMD has done a splendid job by making a drastic improvement in the Instructions per Cycle (IPC).
- This CPU comes with 32MB L3 Cache that is three times better than the cache capacity of Intel’s 9600K. Besides all these Ryzen 5 3600X has a great Overclocking capability and memory compatibility.
- Threads: 12 Cores: 6 Base Frequency: 3.8GHz Cache: 35MB
- Boost Frequency: 4.4GHz TDP: 95W PCIe Lanes: 24
- It comes with a bundled cooler
- Multiplayer unlocked
- Power Consumption Technology
- PCIe 4.0
- Need an expensive motherboard of X570 for PCIe 4.0
- Headroom is overlocking
- Manual programming is extremely limited
6. Intel Pentium Gold G5400
This CPU is chiefly known for providing high-quality gaming performance with a reasonable budget. Yes, we have enlisted one of the most inexpensive gaming CPU that comes with Intel UHD 610 graphics to unleash your gaming skills.
- Intel Pentium Gold G5400 comes with a wonderful chip built on Intel’s latest Coffee Lake architecture.
- You will also get a hyper-threading feature that helps to improve the parallelization performance of computation.
- Though this CPU has an only dual-core processor it can run a wonderful 3.5GHz clock speed. It will not create any lagging issue during any high graphics game.
- Besides all, Pentium Gold G5400 has an inbuilt mid-level GPU called Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti.
- According to the budget, this CPU is pretty much impressive by offering 58 Watt TDP (Thermal Design Power).
- Threads: 4 Graphics: Intel UHD 610 Graphics Cores: 2
- Base Clock: 3.7GHz TDP: 58W Intel Smart Cache: 4MB
- Most inexpensive gaming CPU
- Inbuilt Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti GPU
- It has hyper-threading feature
- Developed on latest Intel Coffee Lake Architecture
- There is no such boost frequency
- The number of cores is only 2
7. Intel Core i7-9700K (9th Gen)
If you are looking for an overall good performing gaming CPU, then Intel Core i7-9700K is the best option right now. Though it is much expensive than other CPUs, it is completely priced worthy in every aspect.
- This CPU can provide outstanding performance with the help of eight cores which can easily present the high-graphics game with complete color details.
- The processor of this CPU also designed based on Intel’s 14nm++process like other processors of K series. This CPU comes with an integrated 630 UHD graphics engine.
- It has sports unlocked ratio multipliers for smooth Overclocking and it also supports DDR4-2666 dual-channel memory.
- This CPU also responded to enhance the density of RAM by doubling up memory support capacity up to 128GB.
- Intel’s Core i7 series comes with Hyper-Threading technology which works with fur and six models to establish 8 to 12 CPU threads at a time.
- It can produce hyper-threading from 95W and moreover, it also provides more additional 2 cores.
- This CPU comes with 12MB of L3 cache that is almost similar to Intel’s other K-series models. The processor of this CPU built with the solder-based thermal interface material that can balance heat transfer between the heat spreader and Intel’s die.
- You can have two unique headroom cores which do not violate the envelope of 95W top-notch clock speed.
- This CPU comes with 130W cooler and it can perform with a Turbo Boost clock rates.
- It can deliver DDR4-2666 memory support to enhance your gaming experience.
- Socket: 1151 Base Frequency: 3.6GHz Architecture: Coffee Lake
- Threads/Cores: 8/8 Top Boost Frequency: 4.9GHz TDP: 65W
- It has solder TIM function which improves Thermal Transfer
- Provide best gaming performance
- Eight cores excel in parallelized workloads
- High turbo boost rate increase the powerful single-thread performance
- There is no such bundled cooler
8. AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
AMD’s Ryzen 5 2400G comes with four different physical cores and eight CUs (512 stream processors) which can grow your interest in 720P gaming. It has the ability to optimize the on-die graphics and it comes with a refined memory controller that officially supports both DDR4-2666 and DDR4-2933.
- This CPU offers dual-channel kits and it also has the ability to develop memory Overclocking.
- AMD Ryzen 5 5400G comes with a brand new processor that can easily replace with the existing Ryzen 3 1200 and Ryzen 5 1400 Apart from this, it consists of an extraordinary single four-core design and AMDs 14nm + process.
- This CPU offers 65W TDP and it features a wide number of CPU threads and cores.
- It has an exceptional boost-clock speed which raises up to 1250MHz for the smooth and hassle-free gaming experience.
- Above all this CPU carries a unique ‘vega’ graphics cores that indicates 11 compute unites or 704 ALUs.
- Socket: AM4 Base Frequency: 3.6GHz Architecture: Zen
- Top Boost Frequency: 3.9GHz Threads: 8 Cores: 4 TDP: 65W
- It has a high-frequency rate
- Multipliers are unlocked
- It provides amazing 720P gaming performance
- Budget-friendly for gaming
- Supports 1080p gaming in low settings
- Only eight lanes for PCIe slots
- Difficulties in motherboard BIOS compatibility
- TIM is not-metallic
9. AMD Ryzen 3 220G
This is an entry-level CPU and it is a good option while your budget is really tight. It can provide both facilities for multitasking and high-quality gaming. This CPU comes with four threads along with four cores that are specially made for affordable gaming builders and upgraders.
- You can get 720P solid gaming performance as it has the inbuilt ‘vega’ on-chip graphics. This CPU comes under mainstream CPUs as it supports both multitasking and heavy gaming.
- This CPU features I/O die components (7nm and 12nm) that connected together within a single package. It adheres to the 65W TDP ceiling along with high-speed clocking power.
- Ryzen 3 220G carries a higher clock speed of 3.8GHz base along with a 3.7GHz Boost frequencies.
- Socket: AM4 Base Frequency: 3.5GHz Architecture: Zen
- Top Boost Frequency: 3.7GHz Threads: 4 Cores: 4 TDP: 65W
- Carries higher frequency
- Multipliers unlocked
- Provide amazing 720p gaming performance
- Comes under affordable price
- Non-metallic TIM
- Difficulties in motherboard BIOS compatibility
- Eight lanes for PCIe slots
We have displayed a wide range of gaming CPUs that can deliver different functions including high boost frequency along with an inbuilt efficient graphics unit. So, we hope you have understood our review and will surely able to choose your favorite CPU to unleash your gaming moves.